Instagram

UNC '15

UNC '15

Monday, March 31, 2014

Nice, Cannes, Eze, and Monaco - A School Trip Extravaganza

For the second of my school-sponsored trips at Lorenzo de Medici, my roommates and I took off along with a hundred other students to swarm the streets of Southern France. My first impressions of France came from my trip over a month ago to Paris. "Time flies while having fun", couldn't have a more appropriate setting while I venture across Europe, but I instead choose to follow the advice of Groucho Marx: "time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana". It was with this lighthearted side I travelled to Nice, where I found myself enchanted by the shores. To see a European beach was not just a geographical experience of the world, but also an anatomical experience, as I gawked at the nude swimmers amongst such crisp cold waters.
After inhaling a large French-style crepe, which was doused in mayonnaise and complete with two full onions (talk about stinky breath), I was rushed back on the bus to get to Cannes. Our quick tour of Cannes consisted of a brief walk-through of the city, hitting the main highlights of the Cannes Film Festival Theater, and the Ritz-Carlton. Our tour guide informed us that the top room within the famous hotel went for $35,000 a night, equipped with commodities only appreciated by A-listers. 
I spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the beach and boardwalks beside them. The beach was a stunning sight as the sun set around 6 o'clock, as I sat and watched the various spectacles going on. There were interpretive dancers and aspiring musical artists, but what caught my attention the most was the rollerblading scene. I hadn't roller bladed in years, and thought the sporting activity was of a dying breed. However, in Southern France, a strong revitalization was taking place right in front on me. There were speed cones, grinding rails, and high jumps; it was a rollerblader’s paradise. People young and old, with various forms of rollerblades came out to showcase their skills and have some fun. I sat in wonder for hours watching the show until it got dark, dining on a plate of French eggplant and rotisserie chicken, and then made my way back to the hotel for the night. 
The next morning we continued our adventure to Eze, where we made a brief stop to look how and where movie stars live in the mountains overlooking the sea. Our group had made plans to visit one of the top perfume factories in the world, Fragonard. Now I must admit to you all that I am no perfume connoisseur, I know, a great surprise. However, I did find the methods of the factory peculiar because of their strict worker qualifications. Only 1000 "true noses" existed in the world, and many were hired at this academy of sorts known as Fragonard. True noses must abstain from smoking, drinking, and eating spicy foods, a strong commitment for their life while employed at Fragonard. No spicy meatball for these workers indeed. 
Eze was a brief stop on our way to the most highly anticipated destination of the trip, Monaco. Monaco, at point the richest country in the world, was not letting me leave without proving that fact. I can't say that I've ever been to a place before that simply astonished me solely from wealth, but Monaco's perfectly trimmed hedges and brilliant architecture was truly overwhelming. Trigger-happy with my camera, I sauntered the gardens and viewed the castle where Prince Albert II, the constitutional monarch (King), resided. I got a chance to ride along the Monaco Grand-Prix circuit, which exist entirely on city streets, and also a shot at the Monte-Carlo Casino. Being the first casino I'd ever been to, I'd say I did my first trip right. The Monte-Carlo Casino boasts that only models of Ferrari, Maserati, and Porsche are allowed to park outside the casino. I went inside with 20 Euros, and frustratingly watched it disappear round after round of blackjack and slots. Although I lost $28 in reality, I can say it was a $28 I won't say I regret it. I just blew a Jackson, but I did it at the most famous casino in the world... bucket list anyone? *Check*. 
Once back on the bus home, I was already missing the splendor of Southern France. Before I had thought of France just as over-cast Paris, and now I had come to appreciate the country in a new light. Before going, I had known next to nothing about Southern France and had no ambitions of going there; now I can't wait for my return. 

Enjoy the photos!

Beach at Nice with my roommates





The view from Monaco Castle


Tar Heel born and bred

Fragonare perfume factory

Eze restaurant

Monaco Bay

Ferrari front parking at the Monte-Carlo casino


No comments:

Post a Comment