My post will be a little long this week, but I just can't hold back my exciting weekend with some new friends. I took off this weekend from Florence for the first time since being abroad. A few girls from my trip asked me if I'd like to go to Siena for the weekend, and I couldn't have made a better decision accompanying them. I knew nothing of Siena before I left early Saturday morning and hopped on a bus one hour down the road, but after staying there for only two days I am already yearning to return! Siena is still located in the Tuscany region of Italy, just south of Florence. The town was much more relaxing and slower than busy and touristy Florence; it was the perfect place to take my mind off the bustling city and school life. I visited the famous center square, called Piazza del Campo. The temperature was cold, but the light brick slanted amphitheater-style square was perfect for lounging in the sun with Chianti wine and a fresh made panini from a local and one-man operated shop. It wasn't until I laid in the sun for a few hours that I finally came to appreciate the laid back lifestyle I had dreamed of emulating. I also managed to practice my Italian with some of the local shop owners in the main square, which I must admit is getting much better now that I am fully immersed.
Before my afternoon pause, I visited the Duomo of Siena. The Duomo sits in grandeur like a giant stone zebra upon the highest point in Siena; the city contained small hills and a culminating hike to it's most prized structure. I stood in awe once inside the ancient cathedral, gazing at the magnificent stained glass, stone buffs, and intricate floor mosaics. I laughed to myself, realizing my jealousy of locals calling the cathedral their own church and attending services regularly.
Later that evening, the bed & breakfast I stayed in recommended a small restaurant around the corner called Osteria La Chiocciola which means "The Snail Tavern". I had finally found it, an authentic Italian dinner. I knew the moment I walked in, mostly because there were only three tables in the restaurant and there was absolutely no English on the menu. I had to ask what most of it meant, but I decided to have a try at the tripe. Tripe is a famous dish in Italy, made from the stomach linings of cows. As gross as it sounds, I decided that while transitioning into an adventurer by choosing to study abroad, I would also embody the pallet of an adventurer. It turned out to be excellent, tasting just like sausage. The texture of the dish was a little funky, almost like rubber, but I ate my entire plate proudly and hungrily.
After having a night out on the town and making new friends with the girls from my trip, the next morning we decided to tour the renowned hospital next to the Duomo. The hospital is supposedly the oldest in Europe, dating back to the eighth century where it was used by Etruscans. The building extends on and on into the ground, counting the three floors above ground on the top, I think I counted the structure was 11 floors deep! The museum of the hospital was full of history and ancient artifacts, I stayed their for most of the morning touching up on my ancient and not so ancient history.
From learning about the summer horse racing and old history of the city upon the hill, to surrounding myself in the Piazza del Campo with the culture of Tuscan Italians, I'd like to think that I perfected my short trip to Siena. I didn't miss a beat, and certainly won't miss an opportunity to return (for only eight Euro by bus!).
La città bellissima!
Il Duomo
Inside of the dome
Exhibit at the Hospital Museum
Depths of Etruscan catacombs
One-man panini shop


Wow. Nice weekend. I guess somebody has to do it. :) The cathedral in Siena must have been magnificent. I have read about it and heard about it. Project took 150 years to complete! Would be like construction project begun during the American Civil War and completed today! Take care, work hard, and have fun. Best, Bob Godfrey
ReplyDelete